Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I have had sweaty palms all day long. It is freezing cold outside but I randomly break out into cold sweats and my heart starts racing. As hard as I try, I could not focus today and my mind kept going back to the same thing. First thought- I am getting sick. I don't have a sore throat, my stomach is fine, I am not running a fever. Second thought- Something is going to happen that is earth altering, mind blowing, life changing even. Whenever something is going to change my first reaction is to run and hide. Avoid any change, keep everything the same. This must be it. Are we going to move? Is Jake going to change jobs? Is my house going to burn down? Then, amid all these chaotic thoughts, the skies cleared and the answer was clear. All though this event is life altering to me, it is not going to have any lasting affects on my family. Today was going to bring one of those mom moments that I am going to go through my whole life. Tylie was getting her first real haircut. Her appointment was at three and it seemed like the day was crawling and flying all together. I just wanted it over with. I love her hair. Her hair has always grown so fast and she was always the only little girl in nursery with a long pony tail hanging down her back. Lately has proven difficult though. She cries as if I am beating her everytime I bring the brush out of the drawer. She runs, hides, and then breaks down when I find her and drag her out. The usual treats and cartoon tricks aren't working anymore and I always feel like someone is going to call DCFS if they come to my house in the middle of the process. As the time grew near, I began to get sad and Tylie knew it. She was so excited and everytime she saw my long face, she would tenderly grab my hand and tell me not to worry because it "would come back again." I asked her to pose for a few shots so I could post her "before and after".
When the photos ops were through, I hugged her and ran my fingers through her hair one last time. Then she looked up at me, as innocent as she could be, and said "mom, I have an idea. Let's say a prayer and Heavenly Father will make you feel better." This only brought tears to my eyes that my daughter knows where to go when she feels sad. I let her say a prayer and then I forced a smile on my face so she would know the prayer worked. All in all, I was just being a drama queen. We cut off six inches, added a few layers, and feathered around her face. It is still past her shoulders and capable of holding ponytails and braids. I know, I know- this is ridiculous. Just wait until first day of kindergarten!

3 comments:

Grandma Sally said...

I love it! Now it will be thicker and and fuller! Tylie is such a sweet, sensitive, wise little girl for her age. I love her!

Erica said...

Wow, she has got gorgeous hair! I think I know who Pantene will come to when they need their next hair model ;o)

judd and ash said...

Oh how darling...I love her hair! I'm glad you made it through the big event:) You crack me up, but at the same time I am certain I would be the exact same way if I had a girl:) Congrats on the first haircut!
Ash