Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Caselot sales

I love caselot sales. It is a weird obsession I have. Whenever I get a grocery ad advertising a caselot sale, I squeal with delight and do a little jig on my kitchen floor. I just get a kick out of buying food in bulk and restocking my food storage. I know what you are all thinking- "That is what Costco is for, you idiot! They sell in bulk everyday!" I know, I know. And I am a regular shopper of Costco but there is just something that gets to me when they mark the 10 cents off the cans and put their sexy little red signs above the large stacks of cardboard boxes. I just feel like I am ripping the off and they do not realize that I just robbed them of their groceries. Yes, I am gullible and they just love shoppers like me. ANYWAY... I was at yet another caselot sale the other day and I just about peed my pants when I saw that I had got there early enough to get their sugar cases. The sugar was stacked about 7 boxes high and remembering my last experience of trying to be superwoman at a sale like this, I was not about to try to scale the stack and pull down my own box. It was about sixty pounds of solid sweetness and I could just picture myself dropping it and creating a sugar land mess for them to clean up. As I scanned the store to locate some incredible hulk stock boy to help me get this down, I came up with nothing. They had all scurried off the second that I walked into the store. I saw a cute girl quietly putting out some fresh produce. I figured that I would ask her and then she could go in the back and pull one of those stock boys out of their hiding place to help me. She smiled politely and asked me what box I wanted. Then to my utter amazement and embarrassment, this 90 pound high school cheerleader waltzed over to that stack, lifted that box over her head like it was filled with feathers, and then patiently waited for me while I scrambled to make room for it on my cart. I felt so sheepish! Why couldn't I do that? Just a moment ago, I watched her and thought that she was straining with the fruit she was putting out. I didn't realize that she had super human powers tucked under that little Smiths apron she was wearing. As she walked away I tried to check and see if she was sporting a Superwoman uniform under her work clothes. I didn't see one so I had to draw the only plausible conclusion there was left. I am a wimp. An extreme wimp. I am thinking after bring embarrassed twice in a row at these case lot sales that I need to lay off them for awhile. So I guess it is back to building my food storage one can at a time!

No comments: