Tuesday, October 27, 2009

To the craft gods,

To the craft gods in the sky that like to sit on their clouds and mock us unsuspecting little humans that cannot complete a craft if our lives depended on it. I would like to announce that while you were up there being fed grapes and artisan breads, I went to Walmart. I was on a mission and nobody would deter me! I marched right to the aisle that I have been a virgin to for quite some time. I took a deep breath and shoved my cart down the aisle like I knew just what I was looking for. I grabbed a paint brush, paint, and a small bottle of "modge podge." I felt empowered. I felt that this was the day- the day that I would actually finish a project on my own. I shook my fist at the sky and could almost hear you mocking me. I knew that you thought I would fail as I had every time before. I had lost battle after battle but yesterday was different. I had strapped on my armor for battle and was not going to return empty handed. When I got home, I quickly put the little ones down for a nap so nothing would distract me. It is hard for a warrior to fight a good fight with a toddler tugging at her leg. I set it up and, by the looks of it, you would have guessed I had done it 100 times before. But you knew I hadn't, didn't you? You knew the insecurity I was feeling as I started to stroke the wood with the paint color that I was still questioning. You chuckled as I tried to put on the vinyl letters and it started to pull away in all the wrong places. I could almost hear you roar with laughter as I huffed in frustration when the my blocks were sticking together and I had to go back and do touch up paint. BUT- all of your mocking and laughter was in vain.
That's right succas! I did it! I completed my projects. And they are even presentable enough to placed on some cute little shelf made by one of your crafty servants. So go eat rocks. I proved you wrong. I am no Hercules that is striving to join you in the craft paradise where the acrylic paint flows like wine and scrapbook paper adorns the fruited trees. I simply set out to prove you wrong. I set out to prove to myself that I could finish a craft project within the walls of my own home all by myself. Mission accomplished. I think this calls for a celebration dance around the island with Tylie in tow!

5 comments:

Our Busy and Chaotic Life said...

Super Cute!!!! I knew you had some craftiness in you!!!!

Carrie said...

Your stuff turned out darling. You are good! I brought home all my countdown blocks and Tyson said "Cool, is that Jenga?"

Valerie Plowman said...

Those are very cute! But you need to stop shopping for craft stuff at Wal-Mart. Go to a craft store...it will inspire you ;)

Grant and Candice said...

Very cute! Great Job!

Kristy said...

They turned out super cute! Do you want to make me some ...

J/K gotta tease you a little bit knowing your phobia of projects :o)