Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Good intentions

I was having one of my catch up chats with my sister the other night when some how the conversation turned to being grateful. As I talked to her I realized how truly terrible I am at letting those around me know how grateful I am for what they do for me. My sister is nothing short of amazing when it comes to remembering those in her life. She remembers every event from birthdays to weddings and you are almost guaranteed to get a card in the mail so you know that she is thinking of you. I am just waiting for the day when I get a card from her celebrating the day my first baby tooth came in. She is just that good. She is impeccable when it comes to Christmas cards and her birthday gifts are rarely a day late. (This is really saying something since she lives in Vegas and probably has the best excuse out of all of us to forget.) If you have met her in the grocery store or ran into her at a gas station- you will probably get a Christmas card from her. Everytime I get one of these special little envelopes in the mail, I quietly wish that I could be more like her. I often think about people in my life and wonder how they are doing but I never take that next step to find out. I hear of stories about people getting a little note and how much it means to them. I know that this is true because it really does mean a lot when britt and rick take the time to write a little message and send it off. I have all the best intentions in the world but rarely follow through on those thoughts.And you know what they say about good intentions and the road to hell. It is a talent that I long for. I am on a quest right now to try to become a better person, a nicer person, a more thoughtful person. I am trying desperately to find the good in all people but the more I do this, the more I realize how truly insignificant I am. I start to look at my neighbors and I see these beautiful talented women. I look down the street and recognize that I am surrounded with amazing people. They are buisness women, pastry chefs, professional photographers, crafty extrodinaires, food storage gurus,singers, dancers, and pagent queens. I swear that you cannot live in my neighborhood until you have passed the bar of greatness that comes with our subdivision. Maybe it is in the HOA and I missed that part when I signed my loan docs. Please do not think that I am fishing for compliments by writing all of this. I do not expect to look on here tomorrow and find a slew of comments trying to buoy me and and convince me that I have talents. I know that I have a lot of talents. I am really good at dancing around the island with Tylie while primary songs play in the backround. I am awesome and making a huge pot of soup for Jake so he can eat until he is sick. I make really good breadsticks and I can master about any puzzle that you put in front of me. But I like to reognize others for the talents I wished I had and strive to be better in hopes that one day I will affect someone the way that others have affected me. I do wish I could be a pastry chef, a crafty genius, or a master photographer. I will just continue to enjoy from others what I cannot do myself. And whenever I get another card in the mail and the guilt begins to set in again, I will grab a breadstick, get out my 2000 piece puzzle, and go to work until I begin to feel good about myself again.

1 comment:

Ashlie said...

Oh Andrea, you rock!!! Seriously, I know you aren't "fishing for compliments" like you said, but I have to tell you I feel the exact same way. I always have good intentions too but I feel like most of the time that's all they are and I too could be so much more thoughtful.
I have to say though, that I completely disagree with you. I have always thought that you are such a thoughtful person. You and your cute hand delivered easter cookies and your chocolate dipped strawberries and prayers when Cooper went through his heart surgery... I think you are being hard on yourself, you are a great neighbor and friend. I admire you more than you will ever know, so keep on being your sweet self:)