Thursday, April 9, 2009

One year older....And better looking too!

Jake's mom called this morning to wish her boy a happy birthday and she asked him if he felt a year wiser. He graciously declined but then insisted that he was better looking now that he was 28. I don't know about either but I am sure glad that he is around and am glad that I got to spend yet another year with my Jake! His birthday comes about 6 months before mine and it is always a little hard for me to swallow when Jake has his birthday. To me it is like my birthday is looming around the corner just waiting to snatch me up and force me to face the fact that I am no longer a newly-wed fresh out of high school and struggling to get through college. I am reminded that I am in my "child rearing" years (who came up with that term anyway??? "Child rearing"- is that the best we could do? I am going to have to work on that one!) and staring at the barrel at age 30. I wish I could say that turning a year older doesn't bother me but for some reason, it always does. I truly am enjoying this time of my life though and would not trade it for the world. Jake's sisters and I got him a backyard fire pit for his birthday. He has always loved sitting around a fire roasting hot dogs and marshmellows and hanging out. I have learned to embrace that awesome fire smell that weaves it's way into every strand of my hair and the smoke that seems to always follow me. Hey, you know what they say about beauty and smoke. I will just leave it at that. We had a blast with Jake's mom and dad and his sister Kelsey. Kelsey seemed to weasel her way out of every photo I got but don't worry, she is living with me now so I will get her on here whether she likes it or not. It was a fun night and I loved celebrating my husband. I am so grateful for him and I know I could not have picked anyone better. Babe, as you always used to say to me, I am going to say to you: "Eternity is just not long enough". LOVE YOU!!!


3 comments:

Valerie Plowman said...

Happy Birthday to Jake! That is a great birthday gift.

Erica said...

What a sweet post about Jake! He is such a wonderful guy. You guys are definitely lucky to have each other. So glad he had a great birthday!! :o)

Celeste said...

HEY!! I'm so glad you found me - you're kids are CUTE!!! I take it you're back in Utah then....I've been way out of the loop (if there ever was a loop...ha ha ha ha)