Tuesday, January 5, 2010

An old friend

This morning found me dragging my butt out of bed an hour earlier than normal with the same goal as thousands of others around the nation. Today was the day that I was going start working out in the morning before the kids wake up. I feel really cliched about doing the "workout resolution" but I considered the alternative and not doing it and getting fat just because I don't want to be cliche seemed even dumber- so here I am. Dressed in all my workout garb, I approached my entertainment closet, carefully pushed to the side all my cute chick flicks, reached to the deepest darkest corner and picked up the last movie I could feel. I grabbed it, set it aside and got the movie lurking under that. That is how long it has been. I could barely decipher if I had gotten the right one but due to the thick layer of dust on it, I assumed that had to be it. It was my good old friend Billy Blanks from Taebo. Taebo was a fad back when I was in high school and I loved doing the workouts. My mom had bought the tapes and loaned them to a friend years later and I was never able to find them again. Thanks to ebay, I found them last year but they have been sitting on my shelf since then. As I popped it in, I felt like I was meeting an old friend that has been waiting for my for quite some time. And then, there he was. Billy- the ripped instructor with tight blue spandex one piece and his hands wrapped like he is ready to enter a cage fight. Head shaved bald and lubed up with a grease so that he sparkles with every jab he takes. He starts you out slow and then gradually builds you up to "double time". He works you so hard that you get to a point that you want to grab a tub of ice cream and watch him because simply watching him is a workout. Then he builds you up with words like "you can push past the pain" and "think about that swimming suit". He is like my own personal Richard Simmons on steroids. With all of his "atta boys" I got through the entire workout and ended up like a wet noodle on the floor. I was panting like a dog about ready to go lap out of the toilet because I couldn't get my legs to hold my weight when Jake came down on his way out the door. He chuckled, looked at me sympathetically and kissed me goodbye. Thanks babe- love you too. After a few of Billy's breathing techniques I was able to pull myself together. I hobbled up the stairs wondering if it is normal to feel sick and want to throw up when you haven't even eaten anything yet. I forced down a glass of water as the room was spinning and went and stood in front of an open window. The best part of the whole experience though was this. I excercised, read my scriptures, showered, and had my make up on all before the kids even woke up. I think that I freaked Tylie out because she is used to seeing me in a robe, black caked under my eyes, hair hanging in my face, and me wiping drool off my chin. It is sad that my fresh face is what scared her. I think she was wondering what alternate universe she had drifted into. I really like this feeling but I am also a realist so I have made a goal to workout like this three times a week. I am trying not to set myself up for failure. Or maybe it is that when I stop doing it I will only feel guilty three times a week instead of every day. Who knows? Anyway- I am embarking on this cliched resolution. Hopefully I can at least make it to spring when I can get out and start being active again. Either way- I am glad that I got to catch up with my old friend Billy today. Even if it is just for today- I was a warrior in Taebo today. A warrior that went to battle with determination and vigor. Long live resolutions!

1 comment:

Valerie Plowman said...

good job! That makes me wnt to do some tae bo...kind of