Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Holiday Hangover

I have never been a drinker but over these last few days, I think I have figured out what a hangover must feel like. Mornings come to quickly and my eyes refuse to crack open no matter how much effort I put into it. My body is groggy and moving more robotic than fluid. My daily routine has become much harder although nothing has changed. I find myself looking at the clock and seeing that it is noon already and my house looks the same as it did the night before. I collapse in arm chairs and let out a loud sigh of exhaustion every hour, on the hour. I spend my time trying to deprogram Tylie from thinking there is a party every night or that every knock on our door is another friend bringing us a special treat. I talk myself breathless trying to convince her that treats are not a main food group and that Santa really had gone home for the year, no matter how many cookies she leaves out- he is not coming back. I had tried to snap myself out of it by taking down the tree, throwing the wrapping paper away, and restraining myself from making more wassail. I guess my body just knows that this is the hardest time of the year for me. The excitement is gone. There is nothing there to push off the depression of the miserable cold. This is the time of the year that I have to hunker down and be patient. I have to remind myself that the sun will come out again and this ice, outside and in my heart, will melt away. I don't know why we pack the holidays so close together, just to leave the other months left wanting for something to be known for. In 3 months we pack in Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's. Was this some kind of sick joke to make kids go into a sugar coma? Maybe it was the best thing the forefathers could come up with since they didn't have Benadryl yet. Who knows- All I know is that this time of year is rough. I just have to grit my teeth and bear it. Until then, I will sip on my hot chocolate and watch my gas bill rise. And while I am sitting there waiting for the ice to melt, I am going to think up a stupid holiday to put in January to give it a better name!














2 comments:

judd and ash said...

I 100% agree. I hate the month of January with a passion. It's so hard to endure the bitter cold with nothing to look forward to anymore. It's this time of year that I ask myself, "Why the heck did we move here from sunny St. George again?"

michael. mindy. dane. said...

I seriously love the way you write. I totally know you how feel about the holiday hangover! Hope it wears off soon :)