Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Dang me!

I admit it- I have been slacking in my job. I have been trying my best to stick to my workout routine so getting up earlier has been more regular lately. I workout and feel like I am on some sort of high every morning. But like every drug, there is a crash. My crash is inevitably in the afternoon around 4:00. My body starts to be sluggish, my eyes feel like I have taped rocks to my lashes, and the stairs the I scale daily begin to look like Mount Everest. I rarely give in to these feeling but yesterday I did. I DID- ALRIGHT! I WAS TIRED!!! I thought I was playing it smart. I let Tylie build a fort in her room, gave her some popcorn so she could "fix dinner" for Mason, closed off all doors that hold potential disasters, and laid down on my bed. Ahhhh...bliss. Children quietly playing in the backround, house cleaned, and my new ipod softly humming lullabies in my ears. "Fifteen minutes", I told myself, "What can happen in that short of time? It takes me longer to clean a bathroom and I do that all the time." Right in the middle of lying on a beach in some exotic land soaking up the exotic sun I was startled out of my rest. No beach. No cabanas. No cute drinks with umbrellas. Just Tylie screaming that Mason was ruining her stuff. I stumbled to her room still trying to focus on the world around me and this is what I found.

and this-

this and this-


Gosh dang it! Mason had found the makeup that Tylie got for Christmas and successfully colored everything that he touched. He had it from head to toe. Then he stepped in it and so where ever he walked- he left a little trail for me to find him. It was on carpet, dressers, pillows, walls, comforters, doors, and anywhere else you can imagine a one year old reaching. Just when I wanted to whirl around and start screaming at Mason for getting into it and Tylie for letting it happen I remembered that there was just one idiot in the room and it was not Tylie or Mason. Cursing myself I walked down the stairs to grab any kind of cleaner I could find. Dang me for putting that makeup where he could reach it. Dang me for buying that makeup in the first place. Dang me for thinking that I could rest while he was at large. And finally- dang me for blaming them. I cleaned the carpet and when I walked over to throw the paper towels away I found my phone in the garbage. When I went to the bathroom to rinse the rags- I found my keys in the toilet. When I deposited the rags in the hamper- I found the entire package of diapers emptied into the dirty clothes. Good grief kid! How much damage can you do in such a short time? I feel like he was almost waiting for me to let my guard down. I can almost see him peering around the corner, just waiting for my eyes to flutter shut. Then he went to work. The kid is crazy but I love him. I am the responsible adult and I guess I will just have to take that role more seriously. After all was said and done, though, I walked back into Tylie's room in a huff of frustration and this is what I saw.

Frustration gone. I did want to make Tylie's room a little more girly. I guess pink carpet will do. Thanks Mason!

5 comments:

Valerie Plowman said...

oh that is too bad! But funny at the same time. You sound like you handled it well :)

Our Busy and Chaotic Life said...

I bet if you ask your mother she had days like that. I remember her telling stories just like it. To tell you the truth any normal parent (willing to admit it) has had days like that! Now you can look back and laugh. And like you said before "your going to miss this when it's gone"
Have a better day today!
PS Did you guys talk about the BYU tickets? Call us.

Celeste said...

OMGosh!!! I love this post! Mostly because I can totally relate! There is no rest for the weary...

Kristy said...

I am sorry you had to go through that but I must admit it made me laugh! Ah the joyous things I get to look forward to!

Kat said...

Way to be optimistic!! Sometimes all you can do it laugh...after you have screamed a little maybe=)