Sunday, August 23, 2009

I Gave In!

I guess I am trying to hold on to my youth, trying to prove that I am still "up with the times". I am fully aware that I am married with two children but I don't think that I should suddenly have to throw on a floor length dress, apron, and bonnet and spend my days grinding flour and milking cows. I still like to get dressed up once in a while, put on a pair of stilettos and go out like an independent woman. I do not consider myself old, just mature. The other day I was at work and my coworkers were talking to me about "facebook" and wondering why I don't have my own "page". This seems to be quite the common question as of lately. Every where I turn there seems to be an invitation, announcement, party that I am missing out on because I did not get it on facebook. It is not that I have anything against it but I only have so much time in the day and I am afraid to become too bogged down in this new "my life via Internet" phase everyone seems to be passing through. I just think that I have to draw the line somewhere. Maybe it is this new attitude that we all have. We all think that we are so interesting and the rest of the world really does want to know what time I vacuumed my floor, what I ate for breakfast, and how many times I had to change mason's diaper in one day. I am not bagging on anyone, I do it myself. I just try to hold to it the funny stories of my everyday life instead of the mundane details. I am afraid if I do this blog, get a facebook page, log on to twitter, and continue to check my emails you will all be very aware of what I am doing but it will just be updates about how many movies Tylie had watched in a day and how long I can push Mason in between meals (which is not long!) because I am just sitting in front of a computer in a daze trying to keep up with it all. It is a delicate balance being an independent woman and a mom, a feather can throw the whole thing off. I was feeling good about all this justification UNTIL this kid at work took all the wind right out of my sails. I was rambling on about why I don't want a page and how my blog is enough and this was his response. " Oh, you have a blog. That makes sense. You are a mom. That is what moms do. They leave the social world and go to a blog where they can go on and on about the stupid things their kids do that none of us really care about." EXCUSE ME! Suddenly I felt like I should get out of my chair, grab my shawl and cane, whack him over the head with my purse and drive my Cadillac home to sulk. I felt so OLD! So I finally broke down and got a facebook page. How is that for independent woman? Giving in to some punk that still thinks it's cool to leave a bag of crap on a porch and ring the doorbell. I don't know for sure what I am going to do with it but now when someone asks if I have one I can answer with a resounding yes. I don't know what I have started though. Now I suddenly feel this pressure to get "friends". When is it going to end? I have searched for some friends and sent out some invites to people I feel I know well and wouldn't question why I found them. I am trying hard not to turn into a stalker, I think blog stalker is about my limit. Please when I post my first comment about tylie hitting double digits on Disney movies in one day, come steal my computer monitor and my keyboard. Believe me, you will only me doing me a favor!

1 comment:

Erica said...

Don't feel bad about going for so long without a facebook page - I still don't have one. My blog takes up most of my computer time during the day - I think if I got a facebook page too my kids would be eating frozen waffles for breakfast, lunch and dinner. ;o) But I've heard great things about facebook - let me know how you like it!