Friday, July 3, 2009

Bucking the trend

I like to think of myself as a trendy or "up to date" person. I don't claim to wear the highest fashions, but I know what they are. I browse the magazines so I can join into the latest gossip at work about who is dating who in Hollywood. I recognize that sometimes I even follow trends that I don't necessarily get or understand but go along with it because it is what is "hip" at the moment. Things like wearing shirts that scream where I bought them as if I was some sort of walking billboard. This drives Jake absolutely nuts. I have to admit that he has a point. These companies spend millions of dollars a year in advertising to get their brand recognized. Shouldn't they be paying me to walk around the world spreading their name? BUT NO! I pay hundreds of dollars to buy clothing that has their name splattered all over it and then eagerly watch the malls waiting for the next batch of cotton billboards to arrive. I also don't really understand when V-neck shirts became ok for guys to wear or when it became cool for boys to wear girls pants. I don't understand why we pay hundreds of dollars for "chefs" to go out and pick up a snail off the ground, throw in on a plate, and call it fine cuisine! I wish they would at least cook it or toss it around the kitchen for a minute and then I would feel like they earned at least a tenth of the price. And finally... I want to know who ever came up with the idea of eating raw fish wrapped in seaweed! I understand that this is all the rage now but really??? Why don't we start opening up chocolate buffets or open a fine dining snow shack. Now, that is something I could get into. Yet, with all these trends, I just sigh and chalk it up to the "it" factor. I don't often buck the system but I feel I must buck one trend that I learned of the other night. Red Mango. I went with some friends to celebrate Kat's birthday. I have heard about this elusive Red Mango for quite some time but have never made the journey to this frozen yogurt mecca. I finally made it but did not know what really to expect. "What is the big deal? How different can you really make ice cream? Yeah, yeah. Frozen yogurt. It is still ice cream." As my friends started to explain this, I started to get nervous. I was hearing words tossed out like "tangy", "tart", "pomegranate flavor". What?! Tangy, sour ice cream. Who's idea was this? Why are we trying to screw with ice cream? I think that they got it right the first time and there is no need to try to change it. I am quite happy with my cookies and cream. Anyway..... I got the pomegranate because it is the only flavor that I had ever heard of. I decided that if I could not pronounce the name of the others, I was not going to stuff it in my face. I did, however, get a topping that I could not name now if I tried. It was some cross of marshmallow, gummy bears, powdered sugar, and sweet n low. Thank goodness I got granola to counter act the gush that was going on in my mouth. It took a second to get used to but I never got to the point of loving it. It was alright but I think I am going to stick to my arctic circle shakes. Call me lame and uncool. I don't care. This is one trend that I am going to steer clear!
To my Red Mango friends- please do not be offended. I thoroughly enjoyed the conversation and hanging out. I just vote that on our next rendezvous, we set up shop in the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory!

3 comments:

Celeste said...

I have to admit that I kinda agree. It's not that great or different. I could take it or leave it...
And I'm gonna go ahead and say that the chocolate buffet is a great idea! Let's pursue that!

Carrie said...

Hi Andrea, it's Carrie Pace in your ward, the girls told me about your fabulous blog. Just wanted to check it out. I'm going to add it to mine if that's okay. Mine is private but if you send me your e-mail I'll add you to the list carriepace@msn.com, have a super 4th!

Kat said...

Oh Andrea you crack me up!! Im not offended and I am still in love with Red Mango! And it is called Mochi (sp?) But I could always go for the chocolate too!