Monday, July 13, 2009

Sugarlips

Around my house, tylie is not the only one who needs a treat once in a while. I often find myself craving sugar and any pantry that is within a square mile is going to be plundered until I find something that we quench my need. I found myself raiding my pantry the other day until I decided to forgo the processed treat and create a scrumptious little morsel on my own. My sister-in-law, Lyndsay, makes these amazing cookies that sounded like the perfect solution. I grabbed the phone, called her up, and started piling all the ingredients onto my counter. After about 45 minutes of preparing and baking, I was ready to complete the final step of rolling the cookies in powdered sugar. The whole time, Mason had been sitting in his high chair intently watching every move I made. I would occasionally throw him a scrap or two to keep him happy but I was pretty involved and he was content- What more could I ask for? As I was rolling the balls in the sugar Mason started to get squirmy and decided that he had been patient for long enough and was done with his high chair. I quickly licked the sugar off my fingers and rushed over to get him out. I was rocking him gently and singing to him because I thought he was tired and wanted to go to sleep. Nothing puts a baby to sleep like a melodic lullaby from his mommy. He sat there and stared at my lips. My heart melted as I thought he was memorizing every tone that came out of my mouth and would be dreaming of this moment hours later. The song came to an end and Mason started to lean toward me with his little mouth. How sweet! This is going to be a journal moment. I can't wait to write down the first time that he gave his momma a kiss. I couldn't believe that he knew how to give kisses. I leaned forward to meet him half way when my horror was realized. He didn't want to give me a kiss. He didn't hear a word of the song that came out of my mouth. He was only focused on the extra sugar that was on my lips and was not going to be able to focus on anything else until he licked every last bit off. I sat there patiently as he licked at me like a little puppy dog. I placed him back into his chair and went back to my cookies. I guess my journal will have to wait for another day when he really decides to give his momma a kiss!

2 comments:

Celeste said...

Oh my gosh...that is soooo funny! "Just gimmie the sugar MOM!" lol -- he's such a cutie!!

Erica said...

That's hilarious!! I think Mason's licking counts as a kiss! You could say you were both giving each other a little bit of sugar! ;o)