Friday, June 19, 2009

Please Stop

To my babies,
Please Stop! No more! I just can't take it.
Tylie, please stop getting taller. Stop learning new words. Quit getting yourself dressed.
Mason, please don't crawl any faster, climb any higher, sit any straighter.
Don't rush to grow up.
I am not in any hurry, why should you be?
I love to cuddle you, kiss you, hug you.
I love that you need me, I want you to need me.
I want you to run to me when you are hurt. I want you to cry for me when I leave.
You are my babies and I am your mommy.
It is my job to love you, care for you, be everything to you.
It is your job to be mine.
I have never wished for you to grow up. I have never prayed for the moment that you will be independent.
My heart aches each time I realize that you are changing. That you have ended one phase of life and are moving on the next.
So, do me a favor and stop. Stop growing up. Just stop everything. Stay how you are right now. You are perfect. I promise to revel each and every moment that you give me. And one day, when the time comes that I have to let go, I will look deep into your eyes and plead with you to
stop and then maybe you will understand how much I love you and how much I would pay to get just one of these moments back. But since I know that no matter how much I beg with you, time must go on and you will grow up. For now I will remember for myself, as you run around my
ankles each day, I will take a minute to stop.


2 comments:

Erica said...

Be still my heart! This post was so touching and has reminded me that the time will come when my kids won't be leaving marks on the walls, toys on the stairs, and clinging to my legs. Sure, someday my house will be cleaner and I'll have more time to myself, but I'll miss these days for sure.

Celeste said...

Awe -- so sweet!!! You are such a good mommy! I LOVED seeing you again...