Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Mullet Fest

On Saturday I was able to attend one of my most favorite events of the summer. It is the event that I lovingly call my "mullet fest" and get a giggle out of it every time I go. Most people refer to it as a "car derby" but to me it is all the same. Have you ever been to a car derby? It provides one of a kind entertainment that you could not dream up if you tried. I brought my camera hoping to catch some of the action shots and I was not disappointed. I started the evening off counting mullets which quickly turned into counting "drunk mullets". Watching a drunk mullet can only be compared to watching a rodeo clown take one up the rear from a bull. You feel so bad for them but you pray that it won't stop because it is so hysterical. I love watching the drunk idiots slur their speech and the watching the nasty women hang on every word they say as if they have just announced that Walmart has marked their fishnet pantyhose 75% off. Those women are CRAZY!!! They spend all this time carefully selecting the tightest spaghetti strap they can squeeze into and then they make sure that their shorts are just short enough so that you can not only hear the coins jingle in their pockets, but you can see it in their pockets hanging out the bottom. I find myself so afraid that they are going to swallow that gum they are popping in their mouth and then one of the buttons on their tight little shirt is going to pop off and become a flying deadly object! All in all though- I love the crash of the cars, the fires in the engines, the dirt flying out over the audience, and the way the speed across the arena to slam another car into the guard rail. I love munchin' on the $4 dollar cotton candy and justifying to myself that it was worth the money for the sugary treat because it is summertime- and this is what I do in the summertime. I watch drivers destroy their cars on purpose after spending months of preparation working on them. It sounds crazy but I do something very similar in December. I spend months preparing for some fat man to come to my house and drop gifts off. When all the gifts are opened I feel cheated that my months of preparation was ripped apart in a matter of a few hours. At least at the derby they get money if their car last the longest. So- to all you derby drivers out there (brady!)- Keep It Up! I love it! I have already began the tradition with Tylie and hopefully you will make your kids think that it is a good idea to drive in the derbys since I have convinced Tylie that it is a good idea to watch them!
We had so much fun! Candice, we wish you could have been there!
Hmmmm??? I am not sure if she likes it.
We went on a little rock climbing adventure before we went to the derby. We had to try out Steve's new truck!
Steve's new baby!

Kelsey's injured baby
Happy drivers after the tire is all fixed

6 comments:

judd and ash said...

Oh how Judd and I love Mullets...I am jealous, there's nothing like a good mullet and cotton candy to make you forget all your worries:)

Erica said...

I have never been to a car derby, but it looks like fun! I bet Tylie liked it - she looked like she was having a great time! Loved the description of the girls in their too-tight tops and shorts! :o)

Grant and Candice said...

Ooooh, it sounds like you guys had so much fun! I was sad I couldn't go. We need to get together again soon!

Celeste said...

HA HA HA HA!!! Oh my gosh - I love making fun of those same type of people. It's so awesome. and....your pictures are CUTE!!! Can't wait to show you!

michael. mindy. dane. said...

Hi this is Candice's little sister, Mindy. I have met you a couple times, but you probably have no clue who I am. But I love your blog! Your posts crack me up! When Jake was helping Grant shingle my mom's roof a few weeks ago, I told him that I love looking at your blog, so hopefully that makes it seem less stalkerish!

Our Busy and Chaotic Life said...

From the former mullet wearer and maybe soon again--I've got to fit in!!! Thanks for the support for building these death traps. My wife does not appreciate these finer things in life. I plan on driving both friday and saturday nights at the SL county fair I hope to see/hear you all there if you are a first timer or seasoned derby/mullet counting fan.