Friday, July 1, 2011

Treasure Hunt

It all began on a warm summer day. Jake was working on finishing the club house and Tylie was by his side, eager to assist in anyway she could. Jake began to reveal the story of "Blackbeard the Pirate" and before I knew it, Tylie was gushing to me about the great treasure hunt she and dad were going on. Shortly after cousins arrived and I thought the great treasure had been all lost and forgotten. At ten thirty that night, I waved good bye to family and closed the door. I turned around to order Tylie and Mason upstairs to brush their teeth and get pajamas on and I saw the look. Tylie had the look on her face that I know all too well.She had something up her sleeve. She rushed over to Jake and began to spill out the plan of action. She insisted that they had to treasure hunt under the cover of darkness so that nobody would attempt to steal the map if they found it. Chuckling to myself, I looked at Jake wondering how he was going to get out of this one. To my amazement, he jumped into the fantasy with her and began gathering tools, flashlights, and shovels to begin their journey. "What the heck! It is ten thirty and this fat pregnant woman is tired," is all I could think. None the less, Jake was on the train now and it was leaving the station. I could either jump aboard or get run over. Considering the slack I would receive of being a party pooper, I jumped aboard. So there we are, trapsing around the neighborhood in the dark of night. Somehow we ended back at our house and found that crazy Blackbeard had buried the map right in our own backyard!

The next day, Tylie was still driving that train a hundred miles an hour and Jake and I were just trying to hold on. Once again, we found ourselves with shovels headed out to the great beyond to find the treasure. We packed a picnic lunch because pregnant hunters were concerned that this hunt might take longer than expected. And we were off.....

Tylie was at the helm. She had her map and binoculars. She knew exactly what she was looking for. A city by mountains with eagles ( Eagle Mountain- very clever Blackbeard!), a bunch of trees, a pile of rocks, a large hill, and finally a large X to mark the spot. Jake obediently turned at every command. We ended up clear out past Cedar Fort near five mile pass.


Once we located the spot Tylie, Mason, and I had to drop dad off and go around the hill and hide. Dad had to make sure that there were no pirates guarding the treasure and he would call us back once safety was guaranteed. The area was deemed pirate free- we came back.

We hunted until we found the X.

And commenced digging.

Until we found the treasure. Tyliecould hardly believe her eyes. Sure enough, under that X, was a treasure. Hundreds of years old. Strangely there was a Rapunzel doll ( a movie made just last year ) and candy bars that were still good. It was filled with money, glow sticks, and cars for Mason. She felt bad for the kids that Blackbeard stole all this stuff from but figured she would just take care of all of it for them.

The treasure hunt was fun and quite the adventure for all involved. Jake has since been instructed to keep the fairy tales on the weekends and to avoid disturbing bed time. I know- I am the party pooper!

1 comment:

Kristy said...

what a fun idea! They will remember that adventure forever :o)