Wednesday, March 26, 2008

California (sigh)


So I was interviewing a man for a loan the other day and when I asked for his ID, he pulled out a California driver's license. Naturally I can't help but ask him what part of California he lived in and I mention that I lived there a few years ago before moving back to Utah. All he could say was "I am sorry you had to deal with that dreadful place. Weren't you glad to get out of there?" Well, quite frankly I was heart broken the day we left and I sat there in shock as he went on about the usual complaints about California ( too many people, the thick smog, the outrageous housing prices, blah, blah, blah). So, I apologize but tonight I feel I must defend my adopted state of California and point out a few things. There is a reason why there are so many people, why the smog is so thick you can cut through it with a knife, and why Hollywood's "A" list celebrities continue to buy up the real estate like it is the next craze on Oprah's "favorite things" list. I hope I don't offend anyone here but you don't see Wyoming or South Dakota struggling with there air quality lately, do you? It is because California is so beautiful and the weather cannot be beat. There are also many more things that you might never get to experience unless you live there. So, I have put together a "top ten" list for those of you out there who think that California is such a "dreadful" place.

10- Attending the famous Dodger games and enjoying the view you get from the parking lot of all of downtown LA after the game.

9- Shopping at the Fashion District. This can seem life threatening at first because it is in a ghetto downtown alley where if you don't speak spanish you are going to have a rough day. But after your first visit of finding all the fake purses and jewelry you can stand, you will be begging for more.

8- Taking walks in January with just a jacket (if that) and feel the warm sun of you back.

7- Going to all the free movie critiques before they come out. It doesn't get much better then seeing a movie before it is even released and for free!

6- Tylie being born in beautiful Cali. Now she can stand up in school and state that she was born out of the state- by Disneyland! (I was always jealous of those kids. I had never left the state, let alone live somewhere like California.)

5- The phone calls home to Utah as I am driving home from work. I would listen to my mom talk about the terrible snow storm the were having and I would just look around and see some bank sign read that is was 72 degrees.

4- Being able to wake up on a Saturday morning and decide that we wanted to spend the day at Six Flags. We would go and ride a few roller coasters and then go home. We were never concerned about missing a ride because we knew we could go back the following weekend on our summer pass.

3- The gorgeus purple flowers that would fall off the trees in the spring and line the roads. It would feel like something out of the Wizard of Oz as you drove through them. I almost felt like I was violating some art or painting by driving on the road.

2- Strolling through the weekly farmers market. AAHHHH! I just can't say enough about this. There is nothing like getting fresh produce and flowers from the farmer's market. We would buy strawberries that resembled apples, oranges that I swear were injected with sugar, and sour dough bread that turned into an addicition for me. Now I am really starting to miss that place!!!

1- And the number one thing about California (this is for Jake)- Going to the beach every weekend with our friends to go boogie boarding. Jake loved this more then anything else and he got to be very good at it. We had a blast with several couples every weekend. We would pack our coolers and snack on sold cut sandwiches and golf ball size grapes all day.

Now I am not unrealistic. I took plenty of turns sitting in LA traffic, groaning as I got pushed around in the LA subway by all the people, and laughing as Jake and I would pick up a house flyer and see the price for a 100 year old home. And I am not claiming that I wanted to move there or was even excited about the idea. To be honest, Jake pretty much drug me there kicking and screaming. But when I am wrong I will admit it. Jake was right on this one. Moving to California was the right move for us and I will never regret it. Some of my most fond memories of Jake and I together are there and will always be there. And because of this, California will hold a soft spot in my heart for as long as I live. Take it from me, California has it's problems for a reason. It is because everyone wants to be there and nobody wants to leave.

2 comments:

Grandma Sally said...

Hi Ang,
And California is where you and Jake really became a couple who depended upon each other because there was no one else there. So you could say that is where your family really started. It will always be a favorite place for you and a great place to visit!

Erica said...

Hey Andrea! What a great post! I haven't been to California for AT LEAST 6 or 7 years and everytime I went we always had a great time! Just reading what you wrote has me wanting a vacation :o)