Saturday, June 5, 2010

They weren't kidding

When they said that it takes a village to raise a child, they weren't kidding. Especially when that child is sick. The last week has brought the horrible flu to our house. Fortunately not all of us have gotten it but unfortunately for Mason, the flu chose him to attack. I have always hated when my babies get sick but it is much worse when they are throwing up. I feel completely helpless as a mom. I feel that, in their eyes, I can fix anything. So when he looks at me with those sad eyes guilt courses through me because I know there is nothing I can do. It is something that no amount of sugar or toy stores can mend. I do my best by rocking him, singing softly, stroking his back, talking softly. I know that it is not much but, at that moment, I feel I am doing everything I should for my baby. Then I am suddenly startled to remember that I have not only one baby, but two. My little Tylie has been patient through the whole thing. She is so tender hearted that I will find her crying on her bed when Mason is throwing up. She does her best to give him his favorite toys, dances like a fool in front of him to make him giggle, and constantly reminds me that he is not to have any treats because that will hurt his tummy. I feel so bad at these times because one child is demanding so much attention but the other child still has needs. These are the times that I am so grateful for those around me. If it weren't for my quiet saviors coming to my rescue, Tylie would probably still be in the pajamas that she wore three days ago sitting on my couch watching Aladdin for the 12th time and eating her 15th fruit popsicle. I would be walking around the house like a zombie reassuring myself that it is ok because the popsicle has got to have some nutrition in there is they can call them fruit popsicles. But no. Instead, right now, Tylie is off to grandma's house playing with her cousins and having the time of her life. This day comes after other fun events of going to Mcdonalds with aunt Heather, having a sleep over at grandmas (while we were in the ER with Mason), going shopping with aunt Kelsey, and getting to go to Mia's house before she had even eaten breakfast. I just don't know what I would have done if I were alone this week. My heart is broken for my baby boy who is so sick but it is humbled by all the help I have received. Thank you to both of my mom's who each took an entire day to help me, to Kelsey for making dinner when I didn't care if we had dinner that night or not. To Heather who gladly took Tylie on your only day off, to Jake, my dad and brothers for holding the priesthood and giving my baby a blessing when I have nothing left to do, and to Kat who knew to call at exactly the right moment. The more I have thought about it, there is no way that call was coincidental. You are fitting graciously into your calling already. As we were driving to the hospital yesterday Tylie was worried about Mason and she started to question what was going on. I tried to explain to her that Mason was just not getting better and so we have to take him to the people that know what to do. Then came the question that I will never forget. "Mom, why didn't the blessing work?" Tears immediately sprang to my eyes as I silently pleaded with Jake to help. I had no idea what to tell her. I have told her before that sometimes Heavenly Father says no. We have talked about how sometimes what we want is not what He wants. But at that moment, I didn't have the strength to talk about it. Her perfect faith was questioning why. It is a hard thing to swallow as a parent. Jake bailed me out as he always does and her faith continues. Tylie has learned something from this but I have learned a much bigger lesson. Thank goodness it is only the flu. He will be back to normal until then. And I will try to remember that I need to recognize those around me and be grateful that I am not alone. Never, never alone.

3 comments:

Grant and Candice said...

Poor little guy. I am sure there is nothing worse than having a sick baby. I hate that feeling of helplessness more than anything! Hope he gets better soon.

CorayFam said...

What a beautiful post!! I am so glad that you had the help of so many loved ones!! You are a wonderful mother and a great example of strength to all of us!!

Grandma Sally said...

Sorry you've been through so much. We continue to remember you and especially Mason in our prayers.
We love you.