Friday, March 26, 2010

Carefully styled hair with not a wisp out of place. My favorite shirt that has a way of making me feel skinnier than I am. Cute little jeans with gemstones glittering on the pockets. Freshly shaved legs, not just to the knee, are lotioned and smooth. Adorable flats that go great with my outfit but also make me feel comfortable and at ease. Sounds like I am ready to head out on a great date or maybe an important real estate meeting, right? As much as I wish that either of those were true, that was not the case a few days ago. I was headed to the OB, the gyno, the "woman doctor". Please do not misunderstand. It is not like I think my OB rivals Brad Pitt. I do not do all of this to impress him. Honestly, I am not really sure why I do this. This man has seen me at my very worst. We all know that no matter how beautiful that little baby is that you have, pushing him out is not beautiful at all. My doctor has seen my mascara stained face, my stretch marked stomach, my matted down hair. Maybe I do it because I want to prove to him that I can clean up nice when I am not trying to push out a bowling ball. Maybe I am so insecure about what he has to do in my yearly appointments that I try to make myself feel as great as possible to soften the blow. I am not really sure what it is but, none the less, I go through the same routine every time. I respect OBs. I am sure that it is awesome to be able to deliver all those babies but the rest of the job can not be that glamorous. They are always really gentle and kind. They have a way of never raising their voice above a hush and they always seem so calm. They speak as though they are watching tulips bloom before their eyes when in reality they are up to their elbows try to unwedge a breach baby with a first time mom. I think that they know how uncomfortable they make us and that is why they are so nice. I can't help but laugh at myself though that I dress up more for him than I do to go on a job interview (that is when I only shave to my knee!). I guess if he is willing to do that kind of job though, it is the least I can do. After all, he is responsible for getting my children here and making sure that I don't feel a thing. God bless OBs!

No comments: