Tuesday, August 30, 2011

It begins...

Usually, at night, as Jake and I lie in bed we talk about many things. How work went, what is going on with the kids, the shed Jake is building in the backyard. Last night, however, we had a long talk about something we have never really spoke about before. Last night was different. There was a nervous feeling in the air. Twas the night before kindergarten...





We spoke of years flying by. We spoke of our fears for our little girl. How we were feeling like this was the beginning of it all. School lunches, homework, mean girls, tears, parties. The control was no longer ours. This is when we have to start to let go. To hope that the last five years have been enough to build her up when she has to handle a situation on her own.

We woke her up early to prepare. Her backpack was already packed and hanging on the front door. Her clothes laid out neatly on her chair. Camera and video camera waiting patiently on the counter. I did all the a good mom should do. Her hair was put up in her favorite "princess" hair do. Her clothes still stiff from the iron. Shoes so new they were free of creases. She had a good breakfast and dad gave her one last pep talk. Pictures were taken with all her friends as we patiently waited for the bus. It came. She waved goodbye and climbed on board. Then she was gone.

I was holding it together but my baby boy fell apart. He felt so abandoned by his sister and best friend. He wanted desperately to get on the bus with her. He sobbed and sobbed all the way home. I did ok. I was sad but I did better today than I did at pre-school. She was just so happy to go. I can't help but be thrilled when that cute little face is beaming at me through the bus window. All of the crap of growing up will come later but today was a good day. I feel like I climbed a mountain today. Emotions ran high for both Mason and I. Everything turned out well though. The worst part of all of this? I have to do it again tomorrow.










1 comment:

Grandma Sally said...

Almost makes me want to go back to teaching! What a sweetheart. Wish she had been in my kindergarten!
She'll have a great year!